Friday 31 January 2020

Woodcock watch

The noticeably brighter evenings this past week have certainly lifted the spirits and allowed just enough light for me to get to the Brooks a couple of times after work, with one particular species in mind.

A couple of failed attempts at getting the usual year tick Woodcock flying from roost over the car park at Pulborough had me heading for Wiggonholt Heath instead. I've seen the species flush up from there and the Black Wood area before so had a hunch there must be a fair few roosting there somewhere.

On Tuesday night I got to Black Pond a little after 17:00 and, after a few false alarm Snipe flew over, sure enough I was rewarded with two Woodcock in close succession a little after 17:20; both heading north over the trees towards the main reserve.

Another try the following night again produced two Woodcock plus at least 20 Snipe, flying up from the heath in small groups - all heading north over the trees. By the time most of the Snipe went up it was almost too dark to make out any definition in their shapes but I'm sure there must be a Jack Snipe hiding in there somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment