Wednesday 8 March 2023

Savage and serene in one hour

I did title my last blog post 'Fool's Spring' for good reason. After some pleasant, spring-like days in mid-February and despite the onset of meteorological spring, winter has really returned with a vengeance in early March, with only the second proper covering of snow of the winter on the ground as I write this. Emily Dickinson once said 'March is a month of expectation'. Well, it's fair to say the expectation and anticipation of spring migration has, temporarily, been placed on hold. I think a more appropriate quote right now would be: 'Our life is March weather, savage and serene in one hour.' (Ralph Waldo Emerson). 

Weather aside, I also haven't been out birding as much as usual during this ten-day period, due to some pretty dreadful personal news on the first weekend of March, although I have found getting out even for half an hour or so some days has helped, despite the weather. 

27th February

This morning I headed out to Sparrite and Greatham Commons between Rackham and Pulborough, a site I have only visited once before. The species I had in mind was Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, as the habitat here looks spot on. Sadly no joy today but I will return. The effects of excessive numbers of Fallow Deer were much in evidence, with little to no understorey vegetation across much of the landscape. The best of the birds were a Firecrest and around 40 Meadow Pipits; my largest count of the latter species locally since September.

Greatham Common

Meadow Pipit
After popping into Pulborough village mid-afternoon, I decided to stop off for a quick look at the stretch of farmland between Pulborough and Hardham, or rather a quick listen, as it was here I connected with Little Owl last year. Sure enough, I heard two different birds calling simultaneously here today, albeit rather distant and not seen. Sadly this species is getting harder and harder to find locally now - I had more records of Goshawk at a greater number of sites in 2022 than I did Little Owl and, given it's taken me until the end of February to find the latter this year, it seems 2023 will be much the same.

28th February

A quick loop of Burton and Chingford Ponds this morning proved fairly quiet, although it was good to see a pair of Great Crested Grebes on BMP (and a single on Chingford). It was nice, too, to bump into Bernie Forbes and Owen Mitchell as I was leaving, who were hoping for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. They looked disappointed when I said I hadn't seen any - and, indeed, had had very little woodpecker activity at all - which made it even more gripping when I received a call ten minutes later to say they'd just found a LSW! Normally I would have raced back to see it but I had somewhere to be so sadly couldn't, but still a great find from them.

Later in the day, Paul Stevens came round to fit a Swift nest box and some House Martin nest cups on our house. Fingers crossed they're used in the coming years!
Swift box and House Martin nest cup
1st March

The first day of meteorological spring, not that it felt like it in the freezing north-easterly under gun metal grey skies. I was at Ashdown Forest for most of the day for a meeting about the proposed Black Grouse reintroduction project. Brief birding highlights here were singing Skylark and Stonechat at Pippingford Park and a singing Woodlark at Friends Clump.

On the way home I stopped off at Waltham Brooks which produced a single Shelduck, Little Grebe and 10 Pintail on the main lake, 60-70 Linnets into roost and a Marsh Harrier flying south, presumably to roost at Arundel. 

2nd March

A busy day for work today but I managed to get out for a couple of hours late morning/early afternoon, the first sunny day for a while just too much to bear while trying to work indoors. Although it was still bitterly cold in the north-easterly wind, the sunshine brought some raptors out to play, and I managed seven species of bird of prey from a local skywatch, including one of the White-tailed Eagles thermalling distantly over Amberley and a 'first adult' plumage female Goshawk which drifted quite low into a nearby wood. This was the closest I have seen Goshawk to home but sadly it was clearly too windy and cold to coax her back out as I didn't see her again. Other highlights included a distant Peregrine, a few Common Gulls heading north and a small but pronounced south-westerly movement of Stocks Doves in small groups.

A dusk walk down the lane didn't produce a great deal apart from a Chiffchaff calling in one of the hedgerows; the first one I've had this year away from the wintering hotspots like Coldwaltham sewage works. 
Stock Doves
3rd March

Taking advantage of another bright start to the day (albeit icy), I headed out ten minutes before sunrise for a stroll through local farmland to the Arun. Not a massive amount to report from an hour session here really although it was nice to hear Great Spotted Woodpeckers going for it so early in the morning, as well as Marsh Tit, Blackbird, Reed Bunting and Chiffchaff in full song. 7 Snipe flushed up from the marshy ground near the river, while a pair of Stonechats were just across the river on the western side of Amberley Wildbrooks.
Treecreeper
After dropping B at nursery I headed over to Pulborough Brooks for an hour or so. One of my target species here was Avocet, which I seem to keep missing recently, despite the first report of a returning bird being a couple of weeks ago now. Luckily, today was the day my luck changed and I found three roosting together on the North Brooks. Other highlights here were comfortably a thousand or more Lapwing (~200 on the North Brooks and at least 800 on the South Brooks), with 3 Ruff among them, two Marsh Harriers and two Peregrines (an adult female on the South Brooks and an immature female inadvertently flushed from the big Ash tree near the Hanger viewpoint, midway through its breakfast by the looks of it!)
Lapwings
4th March

I was busy working on the book all morning but managed to get out for a couple of hours around lunchtime. First up I headed over to Pulborough Brooks, specifically, Wiggonholt Common, to try and catch up with the Crossbills seen there yesterday. This species, along with all northern finches, has been in seriously short supply this winter. In fact, a check of eBird told me it's been over seven months since I last saw one. It didn't take too long to pick one bird up in flight, giving its distinctive chup chup call and, a little later, I had distant views of three birds together in the tops of pine near the tumulus - adult male and female and a third bird which I couldn't age or sex due to the distance and bad light, but Jon Winder later reported two males and a female. 
Crossbill
After this I headed over to my private WeBS site near Petworth which produced some impressive numbers of gulls moving from the farm reservoir to the ploughed fields and back. Exact counts were hard to ascertain due to the constant to-ing and fro-ing, but given there were birds drifting around the whole time I managed a minimum of 120 Black-headed Gulls and 140 Common Gulls, many of the latter looking resplendent in their summer plumage. Certainly one of my best gull counts here to date. Otherwise not much of note aside from a scattering of Tufted Ducks, Shoveler and 3 Gadwall.
Common and Black-headed Gulls

 5th March

No birding today.

6th March

A very brief look at Waltham Brooks this morning in passing produced 4 Little Grebe, 9 Pintail and a single Shelduck on the main lake along with another Shelduck flying high south-west.

7th March

This afternoon I headed out for a 1k area walk, first to Thorndale Bridge via the local farmland then up the river to Waltham Brooks. Highlights included the two White-tailed Eagles circling high over the Downs, an adult Great Black-backed Gull north and the usual ducks on the main lake, including a single Shelduck and 8 Pintail. A Barn Owl gave a brief fly-by here too. At the sewage works were a single Grey Wagtail, at least 5 Chiffchaffs and singing Treecreeper and Goldcrest.

8th March

I was surprised to wake up and see a centimetre or so of snow on the ground and rooftops this morning. After dropping B at nursery I dropped in at Pulborough for a quick whizz round, as I was passing on my way somewhere. I was hoping the snow and murk might have forced down a Kittiwake but no such luck. A nice selection of waders were on the North Brooks though, with two pairs of Avocets busily feeding along with 6 Dunlin and two roosting Black-tailed Godwits. Otherwise, a very wintry feel to proceedings, though duck numbers had noticeably dropped since my last visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment