Tuesday 22 May 2018

Waders galore!

A really enjoyable couple of sessions at the Brooks last night and this morning with some long awaited high quality wader action.

I headed straight out after work yesterday with the forecast thundery showers filling me with hope for a Black Tern, given the numbers turning up at various inland sites.

In the event this particular species didn't show up but a flock of thirteen Black-tailed Godwits and two LRPs on the North Brooks was a good start and, as the rain approached, I made my way over to Winpenny Hide. Here I quickly got on a Spotted Redshank - presumably the same bird that was present on Friday, although where it had been hiding all weekend is anybody's guess. As the rain got heavier a Grey Plover appeared seemingly out of thin air, followed closely by two Dunlin, looking very smart in summer plumage.

All the above waders were still present this morning and had been joined by three Ringed Plover (Gary Trew had four later on) and a resplendent Curlew Sandpiper. I was really pleased with the latter as it's one of a few species I narrowly missed out on last autumn.

Both Grey Plover and Curlew Sand were Pulborough lifers for me and take my patch year list to 139. Let's see what else this week has in store!

(Please excuse the grainy phonescope pics - poor light and distance too much even for my bridge camera)
Spotted Redshank
Grey Plover and Curlew Sandpiper



No comments:

Post a Comment