Saturday 27 February 2021

Spring?

Despite the cold and frosty start, today turned into a beautifully sunny and quite warm day. It was still icy as I headed out down the river from home at first light though, but as I approached the tree line from the Pig Run, the sound of a Chiffchaff singing came drifting through the crisp air. There had clearly been quite an arrival overnight as it turned out to be one of at least seven around the nature trail, plus another on the edge of Black Wood.

The North Brooks was fairly quiet, with a noticeable reduction in ducks, particularly Pintail. Two Black-tailed Godwits were the only waders of note here. I headed round to check the Mid Brooks which produced five Dunlin and singles of Ruff and Golden Plover among the hundred or so Lapwings. There was a clear distinction between the wintering flock and those preparing to breed onsite, with much displaying going on among the latter. 

Down at Hail's I sadly wasn't able to find the Red-legged Partridge that Paul Davy had yesterday afternoon, but it was nice to see the lingering male Hen Harrier again, quartering briefly before heading off to Greatham, flushing dozens of Snipe in the process.

Mid-morning I met up with Anna, Rob and Paula from the RSPB to help with a Woodlark survey. We each took up a post at likely spots between the visitor centre and the Triangle for an hour and confirmed the presence of two pairs. Rob also imparted news of a pair of Crossbills on the heath - a year tick for me - so I pretty hastily headed that way after saying my goodbyes and connected with three munching on pine cones near the new access gates. The male was even singing occasionally in the now very pleasant sunshine. A very nice way to reach 100 on the patch year list - the first time I've reached that milestone before March.

Woodlark

Crossbill

Full eBird checklist here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S82437322

On my way home I also saw my first Small Tortoiseshell of the year near Wiggonholt Church.

Small Tortoiseshell


No comments:

Post a Comment