Monday 22 February 2021

Light at the end of the tunnel

I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling like this winter has been very long, and I know I’m not alone in considering my birding very important for my mental well-being. 

This seemingly never-ending lockdown and what seems like weeks on end of grey and rain, the recent cold snap aside, have really made the second half of winter drag. A big morale boost for me towards the end of winter in recent years has always been the day when my work hours change to summer timings (08:30-17:00) meaning there’s enough light and time for an hour or so's birding before work.

Today was that day! I jumped out of bed in total darkness and it was only just beginning to get light as I arrived on the patch. I wasn't expecting much from the first such pre-work visit of the year, but as I passed the pipe pond at Fattengates a clatter of wings followed by a series of yapping calls alerted me to three Mandarin Ducks flying up from the water. Just silhouettes of course, half an hour before sunrise, but still a very welcome year tick after a fortnight's drought. My local year list is now teetering on 99, with the Pulborough site total for the year on 103 - I've missed Great Egret, Redshank, Curlew and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker so far, in case you were wondering.

Year ticks aside, it was just such a great feeling to be out early again, enjoying the peace and tranquillity of what felt like a remarkably spring-like dawn, despite it still being February. Indeed, this past weekend's weather could scarcely have been more different from the previous one's sub-zero temperatures and biting winds. Birdsong has really ramped up a gear in the past few days, with Cetti's Warbler, Firecrest, Chiffchaffs and Woodlarks all in fine voice on Sunday.

Other bird highlights from this morning's 47 species tally included a single adult White-fronted Goose on the South Brooks, a Tufted Duck pair on the pool at West Mead, a Barn Owl near Fattengates, a Woodcock over the ZigZag path and the aforementioned singing Woodlarks. Bring on spring!

Firecrest yesterday


No comments:

Post a Comment